So in our previous blog we took a look at the differences between cheat days and cheat meals and which may be a better fit (pun intended) for you. This time we’re going to look at cheating our way around social events. If you’re like most people, here are some situations in which you may feel tempted to ditch your plan:
- Easter Sunday
- Your birthday
- Friends/Family birthday
- Bachelor(ette) party
- Baby showers
- Fourth of July
- Family reunions
- New Years
- Going out on dates
- Breaking up
- Get togethers with friends you haven't seen in "FOREVER"
- Valentines Day
- Labor day
- Too busy with school/work/projects
Now with ALL of these hurdles and more, here are some techniques you can implement to help you stick to your game plan:
- Scheduled Cheat Day: In this scenario, you have an advanced notice of an upcoming event and are able to sync it up with your cheat day.
- Eating Beforehand: Let’s say you have an emergency meeting, or you aren’t allowed to eat at work except at lunch. You may want to eat a meal on your plan right before attending.
- IIFYM: (If It Fits Your Macros) This is a good tool to use when you have an all day event or are traveling/vacationing. Hitting your macro targets will allow you to stay on track while being in these unconventional situations where you may not have access to a kitchen to prep. Lots of people diet on this method all of the time such as myself, but I’d suggest you be relatively experienced or have the guidance of a COACH before attempting to implement this technique.
- Staple Choices: This is great if you’re out at a restaurant with co-workers or a group of people. Generally it’s pretty safe to choose something on the menu that is a lean protein source and a side of greens. If possible, you want to have a lean protein that’s already on your plan that you haven’t eaten yet that day.
- FIA Method: (F*** It All) This is a guilt-free unscheduled cheat day. It is to be used very sparingly and is only recommended if you can be honest with yourself about the consequences of implementing it. I highly advise that you be mentally prepared to free yourself of all guilt and hop right back on your plan the next day.
These general tips should get you around most obstacles. If you'd like other tips or guidance on the subject, you can find more HERE. Keep in mind that flat abs don’t care about your social life. Until next time!